Wednesday, July 10, 2013

9 years...

Most people remember and celebrate milestone anniversaries such as a first kiss, first date, an engagement and of course the anniversary. However my favorite anniversary in our love story is Shannon's clean and sober birthday.  9 years ago today Shannon made a radical choice to get clean and sober. It was monumental in every way. So yes you can do the math...this year we will have been married 7 years but together for 10. I was with Shannon during the darkest days in his life. He is not the man that I dated, or even caught my eye. He is a million times better.

When we were dating I thought that Shannon was an awesome boyfriend because he always gave me my space. We'd hang out for a couple days and then I wouldn't hear from him for 3-4 days. I thought that he was just being super cool by giving me some time to myself since I was pretty independent. In my mind it was a great balance. However I eventually learned that on those days that I didn't hear from him he was busy with his own me time.  There were some really ugly moments. I was a naive midwest girl that quickly got an education on drug addiction.

After two years of craziness we broke up. We didn't speak for 6 months. I was devastated, miserable, and completely broken. I knew that I met the love of my life but he wasn't ready. Eventually our paths crossed coincidentally and we started speaking. I was getting ready to go on a missions trip to Costa Rica, and he offered to watch my dog while I was gone. When I came back he was there sitting on my porch and told me "I'm going to rehab, I'm going to be clean, and you may not love me when I am done. I may be a different person. But if you do-we will be together forever." I will never forget that moment, or that day.

The following year was full of growing pains. He started at the VA hospital, then went to  VVSD, then on to a sober living....The whole process took about a year.  He did change as he sobered up-he is more cautious with his emotions, a little neurotic, but he is even more joyful! A little after his year anniversary we got engaged on September 13th, and then married on December 16th.

Many people that know our journey know what a miracle it is. We beat the odds. We are a success story. While I know all of this I never, ever take his sobriety for granted. There are moments that overwhelm me with gratitude of God's grace and mercy. Shannon is the strongest man I know. I cannot put into words how he has changed me, or my perspective on life. I am amazed at how addiction is crippling, and life stealing, and deadly. Shannon refused to let addiction rule his life. His life is a living testimony. I cannot wait to celebrate every anniversary....next year is 10!!!! Watch out world!

He is the best dad in the world.

He is an accomplished tri-athlete.

Shannon never met a mirror he didn't like.

He's tough:)

He loves video games-nerd alert.

Typical. Obviously he has a sense of humor.

Did I mention he is super nerdy. Yes, that is a lucas film studios and he is posing next to a yoda fountain.

This pic was taken in our first place together shortly after our wedding. I love it.

He's a beast.

Shannon makes me laugh everyday. Of course my husband choose to go to a kids halloween party as a bloody clown. Awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment